Proven techniques and skills for vocal freedom
Welcome to Sing Everything, an online group coaching program to help you create a roadmap to a voice that can sing with ease in any style.
You have come to the right place if you…
…want to sing with more freedom and without tension.
…want to sing with ease across different styles of music: pop, jazz, rock, country, folk, musical theater, Afro-Cuban or Brazilian music, flamenco, classical, and more.
…are struggling to find your voice and would love to have someone guide you in the process.
…feel overwhelmed when it comes to navigating your way through the abundance of information about the singing voice and exercises to choose from. You don’t know where to start!
…have been studying vocal techniques on your own like crazy, but find it difficult to apply the techniques and concepts you’ve learned into your own singing.
…have tried out every free YouTube singing tip available, and are tired of D.I.Y:ing. You want guidance from an experienced and qualified voice teacher.
…are in search of a reliable, research-supported online singing course that is designed to get practical results, and where you can interact live with your teacher.
…want to smoothe out the gap between your ‘chest’ and ‘head’ voice, learn how to ‘belt’ and have more power in your voice, develop your range and sing with more flexibility.
…want to learn how to sing in a healthy way without compromising your unique sound.
…would like to develop a more refined technique to bring out subtleties in music, and be able to express a wide range of emotions in your voice.
…feel frustrated when things don’t work well and don’t know how to troubleshoot yourself.
Hi! I’m Katja.
I’m a singer who have always loved teaching, and later turned into a voice geek. I have been singing for as long as I can remember, and started formal voice lessons when I was 13 years old. Sometimes I made progress and sometimes I just couldn’t figure out how to sound in a specific way, no matter how much I tried. The voice was a big mystery to me!
I started teaching at quite an early age, because I was curious about how things work, about how to structure knowledge and deliver it in accessible ways. While teaching, I came across more mysteries about the voice.
My own singing frustrations paired with my wish of being able to help the singers I worked with even better, led me on a big quest: I wanted to figure out how the voice really worked! Through extensive studies I found out that it doesn’t have to be a big mystery! There’s a roadmap to the voice, and to all the sounds we want to make.
If you’re ready to learn all the voice work essentials that I’ve gathered over the past 20 years of studies, performing and from teaching thousands of singers, you’re welcome to join me in class!
After having followed an online course with Katja, singing became more easy. I learned better breath support and became able to reach high notes with more ease. I feel my voice doesn’t flip anymore, it’s more stable. Before working with Katja, I did not know why I was doing certain exercices or scales, and I couldn’t apply the techniques into my songs. As a teacher, the course gave me a LOT of tools – simple and efficient exercises, and easy ways to explain things. Now I have more tools to help my students directly in their songs!
– Carole Senecal, Singer & singing teacher, Canada
You’ll love this course if you are a:
- Aspiring singer who wants to be guided by an experienced teacher.
- Seasoned vocalist who is keen to brush up on your technical skills.
- Voice nerd who wants to learn more about new science-based techniques and methodologies.
- Classically trained singer who wants to learn to sing contemporary commercial music styles.
- Rock singer who wants to learn healthy techniques for powerful singing.
- Musical theater singer who wants to gain vocal versatility.
- Singer-songwriter who wants to explore more vocal possibilities without compromising your unique sound.
- Jazz singer who (secretly) wants to sing rock.
- Choir singer who wants to grow into a solist.
- Choir director who wants to learn how to demonstrate a variety of sounds and techniques to their singers, find efficient tools for faster results.
- Singer who wants to learn more about Complete Vocal Technique and other research-based methodologies in a practical way.
How the course works
Over 8 weeks, you’ll develop a solid understanding of how the voice works, gain access to the vocal modes, and develop an awareness of your own vocal habits. By the end of the course, you will have a repertoire of techniques and exercises to help you sing with more ease. And what’s more: I will not just hand you a box of tools, but teach you how to use with these tools in your own songs!
- Classes begin Tuesday May 21st 2019, and run every Tuesday at 20:30-21:45 pm CET (Amsterdam time), May 21st until July 9th. We’ll also meet once on a Sunday, June 16th, 16:00-17:00 pm CET, for a live online Q&A. A timezone converter is available here.
- The course happens entirely online: we meet up for live classes on Zoom. (Don’t worry if you’ve never used Zoom before, it’s very easy, and I will guide you through all you need to know) In between classes we meet up in our private Facebook group for practice feedbacks and tips, and all class recordings and other relevant learning materials are available for you on a members-only page on my website.
- Every class is recorded. If you have to miss a class, or cannot attend any of them because the class time doesn’t work out for you, you can still benefit fully from the course by watching class recordings, engaging in the FB group, submitting practice videos and questions for the Q&A’s.
Should you have to miss a class, I do strongly recommend you to watch the replay of the class in the same week. Otherwise the techniques and exercises will start piling up, and you will end up overwhelmed. And we don’t want that, do we? 🙂 Schedule a time-slot dedicated to Sing Everything in your weekly schedule, and make use of the practice feedback and live Q&A opportunities, as well as the supportive community to get the most out of your training!
What you will learn
I am confident to say that you’ll learn so much about your voice in these 8 weeks that it will blow your mind! Why do I say this? Because many of the singers I work with tell me they learn more about their voice with me in one lesson than they did after four years of studying at the conservatory.
Knowledge about how the voice works is a great thing. But knowledge alone doesn’t make us sing the songs we want to sing with more ease. That’s why an equally big part of this course is dedicated to how you practice. What makes this course unique, is that you will receive guidance in your singing practice for every step of the way. That’s kind of like having a personal trainer or coach at your disposal!
The techniques and exercises are scaled, so that they build up in ‘level’. I’ll walk you through the steps from accessing a specific technique in your voice to implementing it in your repertoire. This makes the course accessible for aspiring singers as well as seasoned vocalists.
Starting 21st May, we meet up weekly on Zoom on Tuesdays for class at 20:30-21:45 pm CET (Amsterdam time).
Week 1: How the breathing mechanism works. How to keep the air flowing in & out optimally for singing. Breath management strategies to help us access specific sounds with more ease.
Week 2: Breath management and support strategies. Managing tensions. How does body alignment affect our singing? What is support? How much energy and effort do various singing tasks require? How do you train support? Demystify the elusive term ‘support’ by looking into anatomy and learning support strategies that you can apply directly into your singing, without having to think about any muscles.
Week 3: Resonance: shaping the vocal tract, twang, oral and nasal resonance. These tools help you ‘center’ the sound so you can work less hard, and bring out ‘sparkles’ in the tone.
Week 4: Volume, dynamics and vocal modes: Developing a healthy ‘belt’. How ‘belting’ can help you develop a stronger ‘head voice’. Finding stronger notes in your lower range. Accessing and training the vocal mode Overdrive.
Week 5: Volume, dynamics and vocal modes: taking your ‘belt’ to the stratospheres. Learn what Pavarotti has in common with James Brown or Aretha Franklin! Accessing and training the vocal mode Edge.
Week 6: Volume, dynamics and vocal modes: Singingin with a held-back sound. Accessing and training the vocal mode Curbing.
Week 7: Volume, dynamics and vocal modes: Accessing and training the vocal mode Neutral – the most extensive mode of them all. It can sound breathy, non-breathy, sweet, speech-like, classical, or even like a rock ‘belt’!
Week 8: Voice work applications. Putting all that we have learned in the course together. Using the roadmap to the voice to design your own sound, develop your range, and troubleshoot when things don’t work like you want them to.
In between lessons, there will be some homework. I know… Most people associate ‘homework’ with tedious tasks that they have to do. But here’s the thing: I never liked ‘homework’ either, and I was absolutely awful at practice. Until I figured out how to do it in a way that felt like play. That’s why I’m inviting you to fall in love with singing practice too. In each week, I’ll present you with a variety of ways to practice what we have learned – in a way that is totally doable even for the busiest of people. You choose your adventure for the week, and report back over the course of the week so that I can give you feedback and guidance. These highly focused, daily, short and playful explorations are also much more efficient and yield better results than trying to lock yourself up in a room to do “singing practice” for an hour every week!
Sing Everything course €399
If you’re weighing this investment, please consider this:
- You could spend about the same amount of money (€399) in about 5 hours of private lessons.
- This course, however, includes 11 hours of live classes, 10 hours of live streams, plus weekly personal guidance and feedback on your practice.
- The investment for the amount of hours of live teaching in this course (21 hours) spent on private lessons, would be about €1400. And that does not include contact between the lessons for guidance and feedback on your practice.
- The investement for a 5-day course in Complete Vocal Technique at Complete Vocal Institute is €1070, and does not include costs for travel and accommodation, or personal practice feedback.
- I’ll be honest with you. You could possibly spend less money on a singing course that is delivered in video format only. But that does not include live classes with an experienced and qualified teacher, the possibility to engage live in the learning situation and in a supportive learning community, the opportunity to learn from observing others, AND to have the curriculum fine-tuned to be delivered in a way that meets your learning style, personal guidance and feedback or live Q&A’s.
Ready to join?
FAQ’s about Sing Everything
How much of my weekly time will the course require?
Besides the weekly classes of 75 minutes, you’ll get the most out of this course if you set aside 15 minutes of daily practice. This is a bare minimum – you’re of course welcome to make your practice sessions longer than that 😉 But with 15 minutes a day, you’ll already start building in the techniques you’re learning into your muscle memory. Every week, you will share the culmination of your voice work practice with me for feedback and guidance. This feedback opportunity is optional – you are not required to submit homework for feedback, but I do strongly recommend you do. Besides that, it’s entirely up to you how much time you spend engaging with the class community and learn from observing the practice process of your fellow singers.